Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Problem with Issues

The word ISSUE has a fair number of meanings eg. arise, children, contest, copy, discharge, effect, egress, emanate, emerge, emit end, ensue, event, exit, flow, flux, follow, gush, kinsman litigation, mint, outcome, outflow, outgoing, outlet, point, posterity, pour, print, progeny, publish, result, rise, spring, termination, topic, not to forget PROBLEM (source, my crossword dictionary).



Of all the above, in my opinion, if someone uses the word ISSUE, he or she uses it as an euphemism for PROBLEM(difficulty or trouble). Very few folk are willing to say that their son Tarquin has a problem with his behavior--'Tarquin has an issue with his behavior'. Does this mean at age eight Tarquin is a father??



Anyway, it's bloody annoying to hear and read the plethora of issues.



And there is OUTCOME--usually used to avoid saying RESULT. Here in Westen Van Dieman's Land those of the educationist persuasion (administrative non-teachers) speak in the terms of OUTCOMES, but seem to eschew achieving results.

A final observation regarding words is the vintage space/pause term LIKE. It replaced, ya know, in the 1960's. Even people of moderate intelligence still use it--'like, I'm going to town', 'and she even like smiled at me' etc. ad infinitum.

I propose that akin or similar be used instead of like, thus--'similar, I'm going to town', 'and she even akin smiled at me'.

Off to the dentist.

AC

8 comments:

Granny J said...

First off, dear bro -- please do not put teen-age mumble talk (like)in the same bag with circumlocutions pioneered by "educated" members of the voodoo sciences. They are those who have softened our Age of Anxiety into the easier to contend with Age of Euphemism. Issues are solved and outcomes produced, not by thought and determination, but by a Trained Expert with Credentials.

Granny J said...

For which they charge you or the taxpayers.

meggie said...

Oh I do hate that word 'like'. I chip my Granddaughter every time she uses it!
As for Issues or Outcomes...grrrr.

Catalyst said...

Ah, AC, good to see your blog. (Granny J tipped me to it) I have added it to my blogroll and can't wait to see what other "issues" you take up!

k said...

erk! I wrote up this nice long comment and Blogger ate it.

argh!

I tend to take this as a Sign from Above, telling me that the comment was not Meant to Be.

I hope you don't have any issues with that.

Antipodean Curmudgeon said...

Granj
Thanks for the response. The local Dept of Ed is busy disassembling "Outcomes Based Studies", having just assembled it. I hear that it had been discarded just about universally prior to its arrival here.

Meggie,
It's like really irksome ya know.

Cat
Welcome. I may even write about something without whingeing(aussie for bitching).

K
I understand about stuff being eaten up. I had to phone GrannyJ to get my last two blog drafts back.

C. Marie Byars said...

Cute. Real cute. My 3 & 6 year old just sometimes HAVE rotten behavior, RESULTING in some old-fashioned discipline!

Antipodean Curmudgeon said...

c.m.b.,

I reckon that outcomes should only refer to debutantes. Tnx for the note.

AC