Sunday, March 30, 2008

CHAIN REACTION!!

It all started when wife and I noted, and agreed, that the family-room cork tiled floor was starting to look tatty--a few chips out here and there, scratch marks from dog Tootsie's nails etc.

I took it upon myself to ferret around for a cork person to solve the problem and damned if didn't succeed, in fact he'll be here this Thursday--barring usual unforeseen circumstances.

Preparing for the event is no mean task as the room has to be emptied of it's contents, such having to be stored elsewhere in the house. A heavy skull session betwixt wife and I took place and a plan of action was formulated. The most onerous task was to empty a 7'x4', 5 shelf bookcase that had never been emptied before. In addition to assorted books, about 200 vinyl discs had to be removed.

I prepared for action by essentially emptying our local supermarket of boxes in which to store said books and discs. Starting on the top shelf I grabbed three to four pocket books at a time, whisked them on all sides with an ancient face cloth and stashed them in boxes. Ad infinitum.

A 7'x4' bookcase holds a heap of books, also they're bloody heavy in bulk. There are now 8 boxes of books and 4 of discs under the dining room table--all dusted and with a label on each box stating approximately which shelf the items came from. Being thorough when forced, the book case was swabbed down. In order to clean the book case it had to be moved--this revealed the remains and residue of a swarm of caterpillars that invaded the premises a few years ago. The remains were removed easily, but the residues are sort of permanent.

This combined with the prospect of a renewed, burnished floor will result in the title of this post. Shiney floor makes a repaint of the room obligatory, repaint could mean addition of replacement furniture, justifying some throw rugs, possibly a few new paintings. Where and when will it all end??!!

AC

5 comments:

Catalyst said...

Well, at least you and the wife agreed on the need for a new floor. I have a talent for far-seeing, i.e. - when SWMBO suggests something like this, I can tell where it's going and usually respond with something like "Well, it looks all right to me!"

Good luck with the make-over, A.C.!

Granny J said...

The thought curdles me! Periodically, I think of a wall painting siege and then I think better of it. But you, old buddy, will have most of your house renewed one of these days!

Antipodean Curmudgeon said...

Cat.,
I tried that once and had to dodge a well aimed right hook. I've learned to grunt in amanner that neither confirms nor denies anything.

GJ,
You are too right. Ca. an inch of rain today courtesy of pooping out cyclone Pancho.

Anonymous said...

200 vinyl discs. No a lot of us left. I have a large collection of albums and 45s. I bought a good turntable years ago, but don't play it often. Good luck.

Antipodean Curmudgeon said...

WP IV. The discs are a mix of Jazz (assorted), Classical(a fair number of ruskys), Bluegrass, and sundries. Ancient Gerrard TT is somewhere in the shed along with 70's amp. I doubt if I'll ever play the discs again, but don't have the heart to ditch them or flog them off--sigh.